About Me

My photo
Living close to what matters, I strive to remember that the greatest story of all is the one I am living and so to live full and well. This is certainly a work in progress!I am a mixed media artist, healer, mom, wife, muser, lover of the natural world. I am learning always about how to listen with care to what's inside that wants to be expressed, brought out into the light of day...to the stories and adventures of people I care about, and to the folks I share this world with, to honor life's impulses and flow and act to make real the dreams I hold within. I hope to share with you the journey of life, full of creative juice, magic, mystery, and the unexpected!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

ur happy place for 11/10

welcome to ur happy place for the week of 11/10! today i'm feeling the fog of a bug creeping in around the edges and so i'm going to honor the need to care for myself but didn't want to miss a chance to visit with you... so in a shorter version of our usual post let's go! pics today are from my dear friend chezzie's home..and today let's continue steeping in gratitude ....can u claim five things ur grateful for today?
mine in no particular order:
1. inspiring friends
2. our pellet stove
3. logan the boston terrier and sophia (the 4- legged little visitors) at general goods monday
4. the quote"this too shall pass"
5. the capacity to love

what are ur five....?

ur happy place haiku:

the wonder of life
the good the bad the ugly
a deep breath, then gone

another reason i have to be grateful is ken's yoga post every other week ....

YOGA

One meaning of the word yoga is "to unite, or union." Another is attain what was "previously unattainable."

When we find a way to bend or strengthen the body, learn something new, create something, gain more understanding of ourselves, or to reach a point where we have never been before, then this is yoga.

Yoga also means acting in such a way that all of our attention is directed towards the activity in which we are currently engaged. Yoga attempts to create a state in which we are always present, really present.

Another classic definition is "to be one with the divine." It does not matter what name you use as long as it brings you closer to the love and truth of the divine.

The actual practice of yoga takes each person in a different direction. The practice only requires us to act and be attentive to our choices. What this leads to is a completely personal matter. Practicing, and having a commitment to a practice will lead to one becoming curious about the many ways to practice, and the many benefits to be had.

The physical way is just but one, meditation is another, along with chanting and selfless service. There are many ways up and down the mountain, what is important is that you are participating as part of your journey. There are no requirements to start a practice other than: can you breathe. You begin where you are and how you are, and whatever happens, will happen.

Yoga is about incorporating a practice that includes all aspects of human life, including our relationships with others, our behaviour, our health, our breathing, and our view of our path. Yoga is not just a physical exercise practice, that helps you relax. It is that and so much more. To be more complete human beings we must include all of our selves in the process one step at a time. I urge you to practice going inwards however you choose that to be, and then practice some more.


On a completely different note, the next time you feel some despair, take heed in these words.

om shanti

Ken Lidden


and here's one for the road so to speak..i absolutely love this new book i scooped on samhain in salem, ma

celtic folklore cooking by joanne asala..now thru the new year i'll share some goodies....

with how i'm feeling right now, i'm going to follow in the footsteps of the author with this little gem!

hot whiskey

"a few centuries ago, it was common to flavor whiskey with such items as pepper, fennel seeds, raisins, fruit, cloves, or liquorice. people even laced their spirits with bits of spiced toast. although the celts no longer put bread into their whiskey, the term "toast" has survived to refer to any special words expressed before imbibing. it was not until the 1600's when the great distilleries opened, that whiskey became a standardized product made only from barley, yeast and water.

when suffering from a cold, i always like to take a glass of hot whiskey to bed along with a good book.

boiling water
2 tsp. of sugar to taste
irish whiskey
cloves, slices of lemon to taste

heat a stemmed whiskey glass by running under hot water and pour in fresh boiling water till 1/2 full. dissolve sugar into glass, add whiskey, cloves, lemon. stir with a silver spoon and drink at once."

and a poem from this book to send u off:


celtic prayer


every day i pray to brigit that
no fire, no flames shall burn me
no lake, no sea shall drown me
no sword, no spear shall wound me
no king, no chief shall insult me
all the birds shall sing for me
all the cattle shall low for me
all the insects shall buzz for me
god's angels shall protect me.

until next time...xx

3 comments:

  1. 5 things I am grateful for...
    LOVE
    FAITH
    KINDNESS
    FRIENDSHIP
    FORGIVENESS
    Recently a friend of mine sent me a screen saver for my cell phone....it has a feather on it and says...."Let it go"....it is surprising how light I felt when I used this for my mantra for the day....I felt lighter & let each thing go as it came up...and I noticed something really cool...as I practiced this for a week, the people in my life seemed to be able to let things go more easily....just another reminder that we are all interconnected : )
    Thanks Deb and Ken for inspiring me on this rainy New England Day....Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful sharing! the video journal that we shot yesterday found it's way to this subject..i think it is the way into a new world..all one..xxx

    i thank u c!

    ReplyDelete