About Me

My photo
Living close to what matters, I strive to remember that the greatest story of all is the one I am living and so to live full and well. This is certainly a work in progress!I am a mixed media artist, healer, mom, wife, muser, lover of the natural world. I am learning always about how to listen with care to what's inside that wants to be expressed, brought out into the light of day...to the stories and adventures of people I care about, and to the folks I share this world with, to honor life's impulses and flow and act to make real the dreams I hold within. I hope to share with you the journey of life, full of creative juice, magic, mystery, and the unexpected!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

ur happy place for 9/14

surf cast hol-ey relics
turned into.....

mermaid jewels...and sea weathered heart talisman

A Different Kind of Sunday Worship

This morning I waved to my hubbie, Dino, on the road as his car passed mine on his way out to church. He finds everything his spirit needs each Sunday morning within the four walls of his God's temple. He is nourished by the music, singing the hymns, the comfort of familiarity knowing what verse will be recited next, when to stand, to kneel and step into communion line. He finds a sense of community with fellow parishioners and a place to give back and serve.This is the religion he was raised with and he's never needed more.


Like him I have a date with the Sacred, but my internal compass heads me in the opposite direction to a temple crafted millenia ago from crashing surf pounding stone and boulder. From cross winds, raging storms and wild weather carving the curving shoreline and tree scape, an ever changing expression of the Sacred's artistic bend. My fellow worshippers will be the gull, plover, hermit crab, bits of driftwood and seaweed. Here I'll reconnect with my wholeness, release my cares, and come back home to myself. I will offer up thanks and make prayers for others, honor the simple act of being. I am my own priestess, sovereign servant to the Sacred.


Having spent nearly thirty years within sniffing distance to the sea, it has not been without difficulty in this recent chapter of my life to accept the notion of commuting to my holy land. Worse is to have whittled my visits down to warm weather season only. Most grievous of all has been the withdrawing from swimming in the sea. Too cold on the North Shore! Dino jokes I have my annual polar bear swim, not in January, but on my birthday in August....but no more.


This year it was all too much. Too much of not enough. So I made new vows; to swim the freezing waters and to walk the beach year round. With these new decisions longing and disappointment shapeshifted into adventure and reunion. I hadn't realized how much this pulling back had spiritually marooned me. As is so often the case, it 's only when we stop to listen, to breathe, to say yes, to take the leap and dive in that we have 20/20 vision restored to us. We open up grand soul vistas once more, we re-establish roots to our very core.


While wading the shallows this morning I was reminded that nature is one of our greatest portals into the Sacred dimension. It is a powerful healing ally and faithful companion. It has the ability to erase stress, worry, anxiety and sorrow. It can re-energize our bodies, clear our minds , nourish our hearts and reunite us with the vastness of lall that is.


From this came the aha!.... invite others to come along. ...


An Invitation For You:...whether you find solace within man made or nature made temples or both- I do hope you'll gift yourself with some time to come along, to find your way back home to yourself in the good company of others who value the practice of reconnecting through nature, movement, breath and the celebration of Life itself. Walking Meditation Retreats in Nature.... be present with yourself through the seasons of the year and the seasons of your life.


See the schedule and details in the events calendar of my newsletter...


until next time..xx

No comments:

Post a Comment